Published by ICSEB at 23 January, 2015
Date of surgery: February 2009
I am 41 years old, I am French and I am suffering from Syringomyelia, Idiopathic Scoliosis with herniated disc D6/D7.
Some years ago, in France, I was proposed only one solution for my problem on a condition that if I had been a little more “affected” and it was an aggressive and invalidating surgery to drain CSF from the spinal cord, which re-emerges in most cases and that I would not have risked anyways….
In late 2008, severely affected by the disease, I used to walk with help of a cane even sometimes two and even used to go on wheelchair occasionally. I used to suffer a lot especially on the left side with paraesthesia, tingling, electric currents. I also had urinary incontinence, migraines, dizziness that used to make me lose consciousness, sometimes in the middle of the street … I had become 80% invalid as per the MDPH (Department of the disability), with household help for day-today tasks … I could hardly drive and began to live as a “recluse”.
For a long time I was considered and treated as mythomaniac by the doctors (specially at the beginning of the disease), stuffed with medicines, I looked for the help in the discussion forums. It was then I discovered a surgery that consisted of stopping the evolution of the disease. I was seen in a very serious and comprehensive manner by Dr. Royo. Following this medical report, I had the surgery of the sectioning of the filum terminale on February 10, 2009 by Dr. Royo in Barcelona. This surgery changed my life! I felt big changes from the first day. First, when I got up, I felt the cold ground under my feet and no longer suffered the neuropathic pain that used to poison me and my leg had gained strength … Leaving the hospital, I no longer limped while walking. It was a beautiful surprise! I had been suffering for 9 years and was totally misunderstood by doctors in France! (Syringomyelia was detected in 2000).
In short, I remember having some “painful crises” during the weeks after surgery, but nothing comparable to what I had previously; I didn’t even need to take painkillers. No more treatments, no more physiotherapy, no more crutches!
The other symptoms gradually disappeared months after the surgery and eventually disappeared completely. Some of the dizziness that was left disappeared completely during 2012. I could feel comfortable on uneven ground.
Today (14/01/2015) I have come to the Institut Chiari de Barcelona for a follow-up visit for actually knowing about my transformation and to be sure that my reflexes have returned to normal and I can say that I am recovered up to 95%. The remaining 5% are some back pain, but only in the examination of palpation. Some tingling in the spine and small pains in the left arm are not maintained and are becoming less often. I don’t need to take any medication. The pain disappears itself. There is only reflection of the foot that is still a slightly abnormal, but I insist “slightly” … I’m fine, working almost full time for 5 and a half years ago. I am a home health aid.
I want to warmly thank Dr. Royo and his team for the reception and professionalism because without the SFT and without them, I would be today, without any doubt, in wheelchair … I want to clarify that Dr. Royo has never made me promises and he has never told me about healing. I am very aware of how lucky I am that I have recovered so many functions. Every body is different; let’s not forget it.
Mrs. Barbara BLACHE
I remain at your disposal to answer your questions.
Email: [email protected]
Our English Department is at your disposal to help you with your enquiries.
All consultations received through this form or through the different email addresses of the 'Institut Chiari & Siringomielia & Escoliosis de Barcelona' are derived to the medical team to be studied and are supervised by Dr. Miguel B. Royo Salvador.
* It is imperative to tick this box.
Monday to Thursday: 9-18h (UTC +1)
Friday: 9-15h (UTC +1)
Saturday and Sunday closed
Pº Manuel Girona, nº 32
Barcelona, España, CP 08034
The Institut Chiari & Siringomielia & Escoliosis de Barcelona (ICSEB) complies with the established in EU regulation 2016/679 (GDPR).
The contents of this website are a non-official translation of the original content of the website in Spanish. The translation is courtesy of the Institut Chiari & Siringomielia & Escoliosis de Barcelona with the purpose of facilitating comprehension for anyone who wishes to Access the website.